Sunday 3 November 2013

Pumpkin Lover

Halloween is one of my favorite Holidays!!!


When I was a child, it wasn't very popular in my town

In Italy we celebrate 'Il giorno dei morti', 'All Souls' Day'. On the 2nd of November, children usually get sweets and candies, and, in my place, we also get some biscuits called 'Le Ossa dei morti', 'Bones of the Deads'. It sounds creepy, but I actually loved these holidays, and I hope that I will continue both traditions in our Irish-Italian Family.

We definitely didn't have any pumpkin carving and decorations. This is all new for me, and it has been so much fun...


Nothing is wasted when you carve a pumpkin, right?... So, one more fun thing we did for Halloween was 'Roasted pumpkin seeds', Yummy!


I found an easy recipe online and I want to share it with you.

INGREDIENTS:
  • Pumpkin(s) seeds... hahaha
  • Coarse Salt
  • Olive Oil
  • Black Pepper
PREPARATION:

First of all you need to wash and clean your pumpkin seeds properly. Use a sieve to make your job easier. There shouldn't be any signs of pumpkins guts before you follow the next task...


Then you need to pour all your clean seeds in a saucepan with water and add a generous tablespoon on salt. Make sure your seeds are fully covered with water. Boil them with no top for at least 10-15 minutes over low-medium heat...


Then, drain the seeds and dry lightly with kitchen paper or a towel. Pumpkin seeds are quite sticky at this stage, so you might have to rub them off the towel before placing them on a baking sheet...



Spread the seeds and add a drizzle of olive oil and a generous pinch of coarse salt. I also added a tiny bit of black pepper. And now for the tricky part. Roast your seeds at 170C for... I would say for 15minutes, but they might need between 5 and 10 minutes more. It depends on the size of your seeds. Don't let them go too brown or they won't taste very nice.

When they are ready, or you think they are ready, take them out the oven and let the seeds cool for a couple of minutes before you taste them...


ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment